Yeah, I guess it's "old school". It's the way I've always done them. I figure if you're swapping the trans, might as well make sure it's good. So Rancho rebuilds them for me and I supply the straight axl kits for them to install while they are there.
No goofy looking stacked plates
Just seems right to me.
Back to Phil's SC. My "just lower it a bit" meter is definitely broken... When I rolled the single cab out this afternoon.....WHOA! It's got quite bit of rake, to the back!
Pain in the butt readjusting the rear with the brakes, etc. so I attacked that tonight instead of putting the engine in to give myself more room. Looks better ow, but a roll outside in the daylight is the only true measure.
In the meantime here's a few shots of the small things I saw.
When I first looked under the SC there was a tunnel trans and later front mount so I thought, "must be a *real* late '59" I later found out it had a sweet conversion mount for the front.
There's actually supposed to be a cup here to hold the doughnut for the stock trans.
I went with my mount instead.
I use these allen heads to make tightening the mount to the nose cone a little (a lot actually) easier
I tried to outsmart myself and ended up doing exactly that.
Using all my math, angle finders, protractors, etc. I thought this would be a good match for the front. After looking at it again with the trans in I knew that was wrong so I moved it up a couple splines......