$db_character_set = 'utf8'; ?> RHD '63 Squareback
LowBus.com
December 13, 2018, 06:51:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RHD '63 Squareback  (Read 52909 times)
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« on: January 07, 2013, 04:16:16 am »
ReplyReply

Public now, so let's start of with a "before" and "after" comparison.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:10 am »
ReplyReply

My new "driver" to keep me occupied for a bit...

Some of the pictures I saw before making a deal and sending a deposit.

When I went to pick it up, this is what it looked like - Been sitting outside for 3 years, previous owner did a lowering job, brakes didn't work, no battery, and a fuel leak...

I've been after this car since 2008 so I was stoked just to it available again, so I loaded it up. Luckily the interior is still in GREAT shape!

Going down one or two more splines in the front, losing the bump stops, shorter shocks, late T3 spindles with disk brakes in 5x130 pattern, and new tie rods ends.

In the rear I *think* I'll go down 2 splines, shorter shocks, notched spring plates, and because this car is a '63 it *should* have "early" brakes and I can't slip on 5x130 drums. If that's the case I have a set of rear disk brakes I got in a trade I'll run instead.

Nice low budget build, most of the parts need I already had on the shelf or in one of my spare parts piles. So far the only thing I need to buy are front calipers.

After seeing Vic's Notch with the Black roof I had to do a quick selecta mock up of what that would look like on a Squareback.

I think I like it!

I'm also hoping to run detailed earlies, but I only have a full chrome set at the moment. My extra detailed set is in limbo at Al Reeds...
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:35:40 am »
ReplyReply

Sunday 1/6/13 I had some free time and some space in my shop, so I brought it over and started with a proper lowering job, and new brake set up.

Front end came apart no problem.
I pulled the spindles and brakes in one shot (complete) and set them aside for my Notch build. The rest of the work was straight forward, having done this before.
I got everything set up and ready to take on the new disk brakes and stopped there so I could paint the rotors and let them sit overnight.

Today, 1/7/13 I plan on getting the front on the ground and moving on to the back while I wait for front calipers to arrive.
vdubmax
LowBus Local

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »
ReplyReply

Love that car  thumbs up
STRICTLYVWN
LowBus Local

Kickn It Old School 66 Sundial

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 05:47:42 pm »
ReplyReply

thumbs up it's a keeper
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:31:46 pm »
ReplyReply

Nothing beats letting a car on to the ground the first time after it's been lay'd out...

Front turned out perfect - calipers arrive tomorrow morning I'll pull the wheels, install, bleed, etc.

Rear turned out to be more work than I thought. Trying to tuck deep 6's with 195's I *had* to switch gears from the planned disk brakes and go with drums drilled 5x130 so I could get a better offset.
One side down, one to go.

All new brake parts as well. Do it right, once.

Anti-seize on the friction points, new axle seal kit, done!

I did however get the ride height set, axle boots replaced, and new fuel lines.

Progress daily is my plan. Driving it this weekend is my goal.

I was working, not taking pictures, so....

This is all I have. Cell phone / instagram style.

Firestone's all around!!

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:47:23 am »
ReplyReply

New fuel lines while I was under there today
Fresh oil in the gearbox as well.

Late T3 brakes drilled with 5x130 pattern are on and the deep 6's with 195/60's *just* fit in the fender well.

Go figure, my first adjustment to the rear was too much and I had the ass sag look, so I re-adjusted that and have a nice ¾" rake front to back now.

One nice surprise, the Varga / TRW front calipers arrived today, and they are NOT gold...

No matter, I painted them black anyway. Trying something different than my regular red caliper look.

Short list tomorrow:

Install front calipers and bleed brakes
Install rear shocks
Get a few pictures of it on the ground before pulling the bumpers (Flat 4 over rider kit will be here Thursday)
Make an appointment at the alignment shop

STRICTLYVWN
LowBus Local

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:15:42 am »
ReplyReply

thumbs up Can't wait to see
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 08:22:05 am »
ReplyReply

Stop by after jury duty today. It should be driving by then. I still need to wash / detail it to......  wink
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 02:45:20 pm »
ReplyReply

Tight fit in the rear, but it's on the ground again.

Personally I think detailed wheels will look better, so I'm sticking the that plan, just need to get mine from Al Reed....

Bumpers, detail job, done!
STRICTLYVWN
LowBus Local

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 07:01:44 pm »
ReplyReply

Looks perfect grandma cruiser style  thumbs up
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 11:56:06 pm »
ReplyReply

I couldn't leave it alone...

The brakes didn't feel *just right* so I have a new master coming tomorrow from T3 Steve or I'll order one for Monday.
That's the only piece of the brake system I didn't replace, so why not?

While it was up in the air I adjusted the front down another spline, pulled the bumpers, and threw the detailed wheels from the 11G on the rear.

Here's a side shot for comparison. Day shot was yesterday, night shot was, well, tonight. It's only about ½" lower in the front now than before, but it doesn't have the optical illusion of being higher in front any longer...
Easier than and adjustable beam if I want to change it later - nice  thumbs up

I'll get better day shots tomorrow once the new bumpers (from the Notch) with the over riders are installed.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 11:58:55 pm »
ReplyReply

Side note, this is new to me.
Rear end castings / shock mounts are stamped steel, not cast, and the best part is they have captive nut for the spring plate bolts. No nuts, single wrench action when lowering.  thumbs up

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 01:09:43 am »
ReplyReply

Today got off to a slow start, took a bad turn, then got better and ended on a high note.

I had to swap the 125's and 145/65's so I could run the detailed wheel on the Squareback. That took a couple hours by the time i got them 11G out and pulled the front wheels off, but it's done, and bonus all the valve stems are properly lined up as well now.  thumbs up

While I was waiting on the tire swap I got started cleaning the "new" bumpers and installing the over rider kit.
While not perfect, the replacement bumpers are WAY nicer than the ones that came on the car, and with some elbow grease they cleaned up good, and match the rest of the cars overall condition.

My old funky table work bench

My NOS work bench...

Rear done and on  thumbs up

Then things got ugly... my kit has 3 left guards and 1 right guard.
So needless to say, the front did not get 100% completed today. Alex at ISP West has an extra guard he is going to next day me in Monday though...

After tinkering with some electrical stuff, killing time replacing old parts with new parts, removing the old worn steering wheel cover and swapping the horn ring for an OG full circle one my "to do" list was done with the exception of the master cylinder....

T3 Steve gave me his new master cylinder, but I also have a German one coming on Monday so I really wanted to wait for the German unit. Being impatient I dis-assembled of my OG master to see if I could find the "no pressure" issue. The culprit was a simple cracked rubber plug on the inlet side. Easy enough to replace, and not wanting to wait I put the OG master back in, bleed the brakes and have a solid pedal now.  thumbs up

Nice finish to a day, but once again, too dark for pictures, but I did bring my tripod with me today, so here you go...

Tucked away inside the shop for another night.

Tomorrow I need to swap the rear tires (can't have a Conti / Firestone mix on this car and my 11G) give it a proper washing / cleaning and take some decent / better day shots.

Next week I'll get the alignment done and when the bumper guard arrives I'll pull both bumpers and have the whole car polished to see what's under the oxidation.
STRICTLYVWN
LowBus Local

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 02:26:10 pm »
ReplyReply

Looking good much better with the detailed wheels.  thumbs up
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 04:11:11 pm »
ReplyReply

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 04:30:13 pm »
ReplyReply

Needs a good cleaning / polishing along with the missing (wrong) bumper guard issue fixed then it'll be "done" I may even register and insure it!!
RICH50
LowBus Regular

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 07:34:00 pm »
ReplyReply

Well done Greg...Man you dont waste time and it looks way better with the lip stick  thumbs up
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:10 pm »
ReplyReply

I won't lie, I used to HATE on people who detailed their wheels.

But I will openly admit that some cars / colors just look better with the the wheels detailed.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:22 pm »
ReplyReply

Big Dizzle
LowBus Local

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 08:33:04 pm »
ReplyReply

Nice score man,  looks good
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47:30 am »
ReplyReply

Thanks.
Been laid up a bit the last few days, but I managed to score some OG salt and pepper material to (hopefully) recover the bad spots on the front seats.

They're not terrible now, but they are the weak link on the interior.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06:56 am »
ReplyReply

Dropped the Square with the guy I use for details. He's polishing it out this week and giving the inside a thorough cleaning as well.

I held off on the alignment as I'm going to give T3 dropped spindles a shot on this since I plan on driving it A LOT.

I should have a set done early next week. We'll see how they improve the ride. Right now being down 3 or 4 splines in the front I have little to no travel, and the ride sucks. Not typical for a T3. There may be something else going on.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 10:34:11 am »
ReplyReply

Cell pic updates from the detail shop...
Told him to "go to town on the roof, it's getting painted"

He started there to get a feel for the paint.

The hood was next.

So far all OG except a small respray on the rear hatch.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 06:30:24 pm »
ReplyReply

Polishing done, rear hatch will need to get re-spray the OG color. No getting around the poor repair done there years ago. I left the emblems off so I won't need to pull them again for the paint / body work.

Bumpers on, misc. rattles sorted, mirrors tweaked a bit and my favorite thing so far, clear bullets (OG Hella)

Done?  dunno

(cell phone pics)

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 06:36:55 pm »
ReplyReply

Better pics with a real camera tomorrow.

For now the only real camera shots are from the garage. Just enough room for all 3 "drivers"

STRICTLYVWN
LowBus Local

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 10:07:46 pm »
ReplyReply

Looks Good Are We Rolling It To Cattlemens On Saturday.  thumbs up
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:50 pm »
ReplyReply

Couple more I grabbed with my phone real quick  thumbs up

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 10:41:27 pm »
ReplyReply

Looks Good Are We Rolling It To Cattlemens On Saturday.  thumbs up

thinking

You might be on to something there.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:09 am »
ReplyReply

Problem is, no registration (since 2008) and no insurance yet.

So.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXPxpMRGEU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXPxpMRGEU</a>
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: