LowBus.com
December 15, 2017, 05:41:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portuguese 54 Barndoor  (Read 5224 times)
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« on: January 23, 2016, 03:56:05 AM »
ReplyReply

Back in August I did some trading and acquired this Barndoor.

Per the birth cert. it's a 54 Panel originally with safaris and the opening rear hatch

As stated it was delivered to Portugal, where it was "converted" into a Kombi. Apparently these was pretty common and it the reason the bus has rear upper panel vents AND side windows.

From the photos I was sent I knew the bus was rusty and had some electrical issues, but it ran and drove, had lowered adjustable suspension, 4 wheels disk brakes in Porsche pattern, and I *really* wanted a BD. So a deal was struck!

In the deal I received a ton of extra parts (most not needed for this bus) 99% of the Gerson metal to repair the rust, some cash, and a bunch of extra BD parts.

Mike (strictlyvwn) helped unload the bus and lay out most of the part before we hauled everything to storage.

All things aside the bus looked terrible. Stance, accessories, wheels, etc. so my plan was to sort that out and drive it.

Mike, Steven and Ryan came by to lend a hand and within a couple hours we made some progress.

Before:

After:

I had to borrow the wheels from my Salesflap while I waited for tires to arrive for my earlies. A couple days later I swapped over to those.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 03:59:10 AM »
ReplyReply

I put the extra set of Turkis seats in, just because, and they looked OK, so I left them.

Mike did some paint magic to the rear bumper a few days later and I thought I was set.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 04:03:16 AM »
ReplyReply

I did an inventory of what was needed to get the electrical working right and the pod sorted out. At the same time I did some handle swapping and key tweaking to sort out a full set of OG handles that work from one key.  thumbs up

Going in -

Coming out -

I even threw an extra repop BD front seat in that I had (I think the pieces are swapped in this picture)

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 04:09:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Because the BD came with 3 different narrowed beams I figured I'd install the DogBack needle bearing beam that everyone seems to like.

Butcher shop 6" beam in back, Dogback 4" beam in front

Mike and I handle the beam swap with no issues, but the steering was another story. Short version, the steering box needed to be changed to a later 55-67 style due to the center swing lever.

Because of the previous beam / tie rod fitment, the shift rod had to be notched also in order to get it in and working.

While I was doing that I toyed with the idea of a different steering wheel also.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 04:10:32 AM »
ReplyReply

I drove the bus a bit and I knew the engine (supposedly an 1835cc) with IDA's needed to be tuned.
Mike had already changed the exhaust over to a Sidewinder the day it was delivered, so that was one less thing to do.

New tall intakes, better linkage, stacks, etc. were ordered, and we were ready to go!

A few hours later and the super cool chrome tin, poorly designed fuel system, numerous oil leaks, and useless breather system broke my last nerve and I pulled everything out to start over new.

I did get measurements for relocating the filler neck on the tank and did get that taken care of the next week though.

Wash thoroughly with blue dawn soap and let it dry for 3 days is what I was told by the guy doing the welding (I'm not welding a gas tank. I've had close enough calls with them already!)

Neck sorted

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 04:40:17 AM »
ReplyReply

With all the issues the engine had, I didn't trust it to be as described, so instead I'm going to build a 2276cc. So I towed the BD home to get it out of my way while I put that together. That was in the beginning of October......  oops

Looking at the BD everyday, seeing the rust and knowing I had the metal to repair it, that seemed like to right next step to take, so Jan 1st I pulled out all the metal that came with the bus and made a plan.

Doors and glass were removed, a few more pieces of metal ordered, and we got started.

Some things went smooth, others did not.

The more we dug, the more issues were found

Current state has the nose mocked up while we wait for new front floor sections and a driver side dogleg. I figure if I'm going this far I might as well do it all.

themacnut
LowBus Extrodinaire

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 05:23:03 AM »
ReplyReply

thumbs up
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »
ReplyReply

The nose is going on the wall, the rest is going in the scrap pile.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 05:36:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Waiting on front floor pieces and a drivers side dogleg from Gerson has stopped progress on the front of the 54.
Waiting on the passenger side b pillar has stop progress on the middle of the bus (pillar goes under rocker, rocker goes under cargo floor, etc....)
However the under floor is done, drivers side rock is done, and the cargo floors have be test fit, trimmed, and drilled for welding.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 05:41:49 PM »
ReplyReply

The rear decklid is now 100% done. With a later prop rod we we're able to get more "lift" for better access once the 54 is back on the ground. That means I won't be smacking my head on it (hopefully)

$100 for  BD prop rod?? NO thanks, I'll use these one out of my stash and make it better....  thumbs up
*actually the stock one is set aside

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Those lower spot weld along the floor have to come out when the new floors go in.......
So, this would be a *really* good time to tub it.

Time will tell.....  dunno
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
ReplyReply

While waiting for metal from Gerson I started on the engine / trans set up.

Trans will be my new typical freeway cruiser deal with a 3.44 R&P although this one I opted for a .82 4th instead of a .77 due to the tire size I will be running.

The engine is a 2276cc with IDA's (no surprise there  thumbs up )

Scat 82mm crank
Mahle Forged 94mm piston and cylinders
44 x 37.5 heads matched ported to the intakes
SLR VX298 Cam
SLR lifters
Autocraft 1.4 ratio rockers
+/- 9.5:1 complression
Italian IDA's sitting on tall intakes with tall stacks and all the other bells and whistles
MSD ignition
Sidewinder exhaust

Should be in the 125hp range which I'll need with the gearbox set up.

Omarimos
LowBus Regular

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Damn Greg, glad I checked in. Lots of work has been done man.  thumbs up

Los Tanques del Calor Seco
http://dhpvw.com/blog/
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
ReplyReply

This one is also in a holding pattern. I have a buddy that owes me some labor. Once he has time it's going to him for the final touches (tubs, raised steering box, final metal work) then back to me for the running gear and some pint work.

In the meantime I did swap out the 4" beam for a 6" beam with hybrid spindles....

Too much I think.

This all the way up front and rear AND 1" spacers on the front to push the wheel out.

The new brake set up definitely tucks more than the one that was on it before.  thumbs up

Seriously, the tire is in there 5 inches without the spacer.  shocked

I may switch to 5.5's on the front when I do the final wheel / tire combo.  dunno
murray7010
LowBus n00b

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 12:41:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Wow, it's looking good!
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 12:50:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks. It's on the back burner right now so to speak. I have a bunch of customer stuff going on and a few other buses I'm trying to get sorted before this gets any more attention.
Luckily, I'm in no hurry...  thumbs up I have enough other stuff to keep me happy.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Update???

6" beam was too much for the look I wanted, so.....
5.5 Fuchs with 1" spacers to get them out where I wanted them.  thumbs up

Bumper checked for fitment as well.

New super freeway flyer trans to compensate for the small tires is built and in as well.
Long axle, Porsche 944 / Wilwood hybrid, 5.5's for mock up. I plan on running Deep 6's when all is said and done. Bumper fitted. Adjustable drop plates. Lays out nice

Definitely going to need tubs to get the front to match the rear. That was the plan all along though.  wink

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Uh, yeah.
So I sold this one also.....

It went BACK up to the PNW

I did buy a "replacement" VW which is why I sold it. Not enough room for projects at home nowadays.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: