LowBus.com
December 15, 2017, 05:40:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 54 Behr scoop Kombi  (Read 1035 times)
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« on: August 11, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »
ReplyReply

The Behr scoop on this Barndoor is what set's it apart from every other Dove Blue Kombi on the road.

Bought in late 2016 with an outside respray and some "custom" touches (chrome bumpers, chrome scoop, chrome pod) no engine and no rear seats.

My plan was to make this a bone stock driver.

I started by color matching a set of bumpers and the scoop. I also installed correct splash pans.

Up next was the dash pod. Not only was the chrome unit replaced with a color matched piece, but the wiring nightmare let by the previous owner was repaired as well.
After that, I installed a nice reliable 1500cc

Now that was a driver, I bought a set of repop BD rear seats and had them covered and installed them.

All good so far.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:43:52 PM »
ReplyReply

At some point, I decided I didn't *really* like the repop seats and I wanted a correct 20- 36hp instead of a 1500cc.
The trans was having issues as well.

So, I sold the repop seats and bought a set of OG seats. That's when things went off the rails for a few months.

Once that was settled. I had a bad taste in my mouth and didn't particularly like the bus any longer. I wanted it gone. That's when Mike stepped in. His advice, "Make it *your* bus, something you like, not something other people will like. So.......

Out with the 1500cc and the trans.

Time for one of these....

Some hybrid Porsche/Bus spindles and Wilwood/944 brakes front and rear

The Portuguese 54 sold minus running gear, so I used the trans for this one. Easy deal, it was already assembled and will have great cruising abilities.

Wheels, tires, etc. You know the drill.

That's where it is today. In the photos, the wheels are King Crabs in front and 5.5's in the rear. I have since changed them to 5.5's in front and Deep 6's in the rear to better fill out the wheel wells.
All of this work has been happening in my home garage when I find time (not very often) so it goes SLOOOOOOOW

After missing 3 "deadlines" I set for myself. I have decided it will be done when it's done, or sold when I'm done with it.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:51:17 PM »
ReplyReply

I've been working on relocating the tank, extending the filler neck, and modifying the spare tire tray, before I paint the engine bay and install the 2276cc IDA engine I built for the Portuguese bus awhile back.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 12:07:48 AM »
ReplyReply

All of this work has been happening in my home garage when I find the time (not very often) so not only does it go SLOOOOOOOW, but there's not much room (kids toys now).
Not to mention, I get side tracked easily.
I probably wasted a day toying with the idea of running stock wheels/tires before deciding that wouldn't work with out a lot of cutting in the front.

So, back to the original plan of earlies.

After missing 3 "deadlines" I set for myself. I have decided it will be done when it's done, or sold when I'm done with it.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Progress on the tire tray relocated tank and new filler neck.

I think it's a go!  thumbs up
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: