LowBus.com
August 21, 2018, 12:46:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you want low, link pin is the way to go.  (Read 7862 times)
Franz
LowBus n00b

« on: August 14, 2008, 08:31:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Bolting in a 55-67 link pin based beam is the best way to get your bay really low. The lower tube on a link pin pin does'nt hang as low...giving you more ground clearance to go lower. If you want to run aftermarket wide 5 wheels, 64-67 torsion arms and spindles should be used.

Early bay (68-71):
Its pretty much a bolt in deal...buy/build your narrowed beam, find/buy your core parts, and bolt some shit together.

Late bay (72-79):
You're going to have to make custom shock towers that have the late wide beam mounting bolt pattern, with the link pin tube spacing. As far as I know, no one makes these side plates or conversion beams. Another problem is the brake master cylinder is bolted to the beam...The good news is that there is provisons to mount a non-vaccuum assisted master cylinder similar to an early bay/split. To do this you'll have to round up a early bay/spit brake push-rod, and get some costum length brake lines to plumb it all back together. It should be noted that you may be able to mount the mater cylinder back to the beam like original...I don't know, I opted to move mine.

For those of you with 71-79 bays, you'll need to figure something out to change either your front, rear, or both bolt patterns to match.
crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
ReplyReply

i'm the queastion whore around here... the bolt batterns (beam to frame)... are they the same early to late???

Franz
LowBus n00b

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Yup, 55-71 have the same mounting bolt pattern, and 72-79 have a slightly different one. The lower 2 bolts are are moved out a little on a late bay.
folks55
LowBus Regular

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:39:49 PM »
ReplyReply

What about setting a preload on the tortion's for a better ride? To help give the suspension a little spring.when the suspension is layed out.

Lowbus is where it's at
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: