$db_character_set = 'utf8'; ?> Type 3 Front susp...
LowBus.com
December 14, 2018, 01:23:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Type 3 Front susp...  (Read 22074 times)
crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« on: August 14, 2008, 11:29:05 pm »
ReplyReply

Anyone ever heard about this?Huh? some guy was talking about it this last weekend,.. i ignored him cuz i thought he was crazy.. but then someone else mentioned it..

any clue... know bus's with this set up???

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:53:58 pm »
ReplyReply

The most well know would be Mext Up..

My buddy Damon had / may still have a 21 window with the same set up.

When I did my first narrowed beam on the Slam-O-Matic people thought I did a T3 swap too.

Seems easy enough especially now with just about everyone having a water jet for making side plates
crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:44:22 am »
ReplyReply

nice to know i asnt hearing shit... more info on this would be great.. 8)

crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:12:33 pm »
ReplyReply

alrighty...

i just got a type 3 front end today (free) and i will be measuring to see what i need to do on this.... its disc and seems pretty narrow...

i will be doing some measurments here shortly and possibly making sideplates...

i might actually do this... the only problem i see is the steering... i might need to transfer the center pin to the type 3 front end...

keep your eyes peeled for updates..

russell
LowBus Regular

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 11:25:16 pm »
ReplyReply

The most well know would be Mext Up..

When I did my first narrowed beam on the Slam-O-Matic people thought I did a T3 swap too.

Seems easy enough especially now with just about everyone having a water jet for making side plates

now i've seen this picture a few times, and please don't tell me that corrugated metal is not part of the bed or anything............
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 01:52:08 am »
ReplyReply

Fold up section of the bed floor to expose the pumps, etc. of the hydraulic set up.
lowsplitJim
LowBus Local

Der Driven Wagen

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:51:41 am »
ReplyReply

Its true, Deboe does has a 21 window slammed with a type 3 beam. He said last time it ran, It was the super smooth ride...

OVP wherever I am in life.
crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 08:53:56 am »
ReplyReply

any pics of it from underneath?Huh?^^^^^^

i'm going to wing it... just would like to see what it looks like

Franz
LowBus n00b

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 09:52:47 am »
ReplyReply

Hmm, I know it will work. But I don't think its such a good idea. A bus is considerably heavier(especialy a bay) Than a type 3. The Mext up truck had hydros...so it didn't ride on the springs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guys who did the type 3 swaps, were doing them before we had narrowed bus beam technology. ;D
crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 09:55:46 am »
ReplyReply

Hmm, I know it will work. But I don't think its such a good idea. A bus is considerably heavier(especialy a bay) Than a type 3. The Mext up truck had hydros...so it didn't ride on the springs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guys who did the type 3 swaps, were doing them before we had narrowed bus beam technology. ;D

your right... it was before the narrowed adjutable sceen...

but i still wanna do it...

my bay will only carry me and my dog... no interior... so it wont be too bad i dont think..

russell
LowBus Regular

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 08:26:20 pm »
ReplyReply

i wanna know more about how functional it is, i wouldn't mind pursuing this myself on my split.

how much narrower is a type 3 beam to a bus beam?
cage66
LowBus Regular

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 08:30:47 pm »
ReplyReply

Seems like alot of work whene you could just build a bus beam
I understand if the type 3 beam is free but you then need to cut it up and weld on sideplates, adjusters and center pin
 Then it  may be spungy because the spring rating is for a much light vehicle

russell
LowBus Regular

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 08:37:31 pm »
ReplyReply

I understand if the type 3 beam is free but you then need to cut it up and weld on sideplates, adjusters and center pin

you can't use adjusters on a type 3 beam, and if i'm going to make a bus beam from scratch i have to cut a centerpin off another beam as well. and if i'm not mistakin, the "mext up" type 3 beam other than the hydraulics is all stock but with bus sideplates fabricated onto the sides.

sounds like a fun project to me, i just wanna know just how functional it is though before i waste my time  ;)
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 09:11:29 pm »
ReplyReply

Getting a hold of Pauly (Mext Up builder) probably won't happen any time soon, but Damon is easy enough to find at any sow. I'm sure he'd give you the run down.
crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 09:33:42 pm »
ReplyReply

you can't use adjusters on a type 3 beam, and if i'm going to make a bus beam from scratch i have to cut a centerpin off another beam as well. and if i'm not mistakin, the "mext up" type 3 beam other than the hydraulics is all stock but with bus sideplates fabricated onto the sides.

sounds like a fun project to me, i just wanna know just how functional it is though before i waste my time  ;)

i looked at both beams and have yet to measure eather. but esentially it seems to work that way... seems easy... but we'll see

russell
LowBus Regular

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 11:17:27 am »
ReplyReply

so has anything came of this type 3 beam yet? i'm really considering trying this out but would like more info. i've been searching thesamba and steeringbox scrapers and kcw and everything and can't find shit about doing this.

crazyeyes, was wondering if you could get me the beam width measurement (end to end) then see how far the tubes or whatever they are spaced apart from center to center or something. if you can't, no problem, but if you can, your awesome.
        i know that if you have different tube spacing than a split bus, then theres gonna have to be something done about the center pin and steering sitting higher up, i'm wondering if the underside of the bus has enough room to clear these, or even if there has to be any modification to the steering at all other than weld the center pin to the type 3 beam.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 11:34:44 am »
ReplyReply

You are spinning your wheels Russell.
Like it was stated earlier. People did the T3 beam swap because no one had thought of narrowing a Bus beam.

Don't waste your time / money.
Do what works and is an easy bolt in deal.
king_tuk
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 12:37:14 pm »
ReplyReply

Like it was stated earlier. People did the T3 beam swap because no one had thought of narrowing a Bus beam.

X2

get yourself an early beam, narrow it and bolt it in.
crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 08:00:34 am »
ReplyReply

X2

get yourself an early beam, narrow it and bolt it in.

I would but i'm not... i havnt been in the garage with the bus for a few days been working on another project so i will try to get measurements soon... but i heard this was possible and i have already talked to the people i know that can cut the side plates... so for me this will be fairly easy... i have 2 Type 3 front ends to mess with and it looks like i will have a frame and another bus beam too... so i can mock all of it up before i even unbolt my beam from my bus... it might be a little bit before i get started on it though... i want to get all the parts to put it together before i start on anything...

I WILL be doing this and i will be posting up on how i did it too... just might be a few months thats all....

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 10:22:24 am »
ReplyReply

Start a new thread with all the details / pics when you do get going on i. I'd like to see it done again.
crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 11:40:34 pm »
ReplyReply

Start a new thread with all the details / pics when you do get going on i. I'd like to see it done again.

i will... i'm going to make it my long hauler probably put longer trans gears in it and put a surf/snowboard rack on it... cant wait!!!

sled
LowBus n00b

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 10:06:15 am »
ReplyReply

I guess Im not understanding what would be the benefit in using a type 3 front end?

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:15 am »
ReplyReply

At this point, nothing.
Back in the early 90's when no one had thought of narrowing a bus beam it *was* the way to go.
crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 11:10:01 pm »
ReplyReply

for me it benifits in many ways... it will get me lower and narrow for cheap with no spindles to buy.. i can build the front end of this thing almost for free!!!

crazyeyes
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 11:45:51 pm »
ReplyReply

well... looks like i might not do this... the more i think about it and research it.. doesnt seem very smart and cost effective... i cn build a type 2 beam and leave the steering alone for the most part... or i could hack the hell out of a type 3 front end and have no clue how i want to do the steering... i'll just build a sick ass type 2 beam and get some spindles and call it a day!!!

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 01:57:25 am »
ReplyReply

well... looks like i might not do this... the more i think about it and research it.. doesnt seem very smart and cost effective... i cn build a type 2 beam and leave the steering alone for the most part... or i could hack the hell out of a type 3 front end and have no clue how i want to do the steering... i'll just build a sick ass type 2 beam and get some spindles and call it a day!!!

Good call.
63 single
LowBus n00b

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 07:56:29 pm »
ReplyReply

type three beam also gives instant disc brakes. My truck rides like a caddy and the height adjustment is easy too. thumbs up
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 02:51:25 pm »
ReplyReply

Post up some pics.
KombiMonster
LowBus Regular

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 10:16:54 pm »
ReplyReply

Post up some pics.

x2 and some specs...
63 single
LowBus n00b

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 10:10:09 pm »
ReplyReply

What kind of specs are you looking for? The install is not that hard once you get to doing it.
took me about a day to have it mocked up and in place.( that includes install of the pivot from a bay beam.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: