$db_character_set = 'utf8'; ?> 1959 SO-1 Westy Salesflap
LowBus.com
December 13, 2018, 06:47:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1959 SO-1 Westy Salesflap  (Read 63765 times)
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« on: August 22, 2009, 10:29:59 pm »
ReplyReply

This is the oldest known SO-1 Salesflap anywhere, and the ONLY bullet SO-1. I like one of a kind stuff.  thumbs up

I bought this 3+ years ago from a guy in Canada. Long story, but I missed out on it on ebay by bidding the same as the high bidder but no as soon.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170181&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Fast forward 1 year I get a call,  "I've been holding this for a year with a $500 deposit, no calls, emails, etc. from the buyer. Do you still want it?"

That was in Feb. of 2007. I know EXACTLY where I was when I got the call. Weirdly enough I bought the bus from a guy named Trevor, and I was standing in a different Trevor's kitchen in AZ taking the call. I was in town for some VW / drinking event.

I couldn't say yes and get him the money fast enough. Problem was customs and snow kept me from getting it until May, almost 1 year to the day that he "sold" it to the other guy.

On a side note, I dropped off the infamous "Bus with 14 pounds of weed in it" in Colorado on the way to Canada

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248880&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The bus has been in "storage" since August or so of '07. I got it running with the crappy 36'er in it so I could move it, but otherwise have done nothing to it.

Enough talk on with the pics.

From Canada...

Passenger area

36'er that moves it along for now.

Coolest feature...

M-code BO1 - "SO-1 Mobile Shop without interior fittings, special one-color finish" so I don't need to make / find any of that.

2nd coolest feature M-code 30 -  "Primer paint"  so any color I choose to paint it will be fine.
When Lemorris drew it for my Sales Force shirts I did Red. not sure if I'll stick with that though

The only other pics I have are from when I picked it up. I never thought to a do a complete photo documentation before storing it.

My plans right now are to get it back to Santa Rosa (currently in Central California) go through all of the mechanical so it's a reliable driver then start on the metal work.
It needs some rocker work, I have better cargo doors for it (no holes or rust) and the goofy side windows need to go.

After driving worse looking buses I'm really looking forward to having this one going and use-able.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:51:12 pm »
ReplyReply

Jason from TRP came and picked it up today to get started on some metal work.
It's going to be a driver so even though it's going on a rotisserie I'm going to try and keep the costs down.

Safely to it's new "resurrecting" place...

*TRP*
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:25:01 pm »
ReplyReply

this is the full photo over of the entire bus and any areas of concern,,,,

*TRP*
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:28:28 pm »
ReplyReply

*TRP*
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:32:49 pm »
ReplyReply

*TRP*
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 02:41:19 pm »
ReplyReply

ok ... so first off we gotta build a rotisserie and the get this bad boy off the class A powdercoating to blast it all down to metal and see what we got icon_biggrin
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 03:41:54 pm »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the pictures.

Get that thing blasted so I can see what we (you) are working with.
*TRP*
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 08:50:20 pm »
ReplyReply

you got it!! I will build the rotisserie after the holidays... and get it into blast.. the rotisserie is a bit spendy on mat and time but a must have!! icon_biggrin
*TRP*
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 02:41:12 pm »
ReplyReply

Im guna go snap some more pics ... I got a few Last things removed and now I wana remove the sales flap and start marking were i will be cutting!!
*TRP*
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 04:54:06 pm »
ReplyReply

yes... i know wr they go .. lol

*TRP*
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 05:01:29 pm »
ReplyReply

*** WANTED***  inner supports..

I think we will be removing the cutter for now

not a bad coner... may be worth working as is..
*TRP*
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 05:31:05 pm »
ReplyReply

roof is real nice..

***WANTED*** prop rod..

*TRP*
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 05:35:17 pm »
ReplyReply

the OG wheel well Is well worth saving... once it is removed I can tool the lip of the inner well and correct anything else while im in thr

a look at the inner wheel repairs needed

*see notes*

*TRP*
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »
ReplyReply

remove these and use OG panel doors..

we are guna wana do a whole or partial inner valance

*TRP*
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 06:02:18 pm »
ReplyReply

stay tuned for the rest of the walk around...
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 12:39:56 am »
ReplyReply

Remember, I have the bottom 12" (or so ) of a bus at Britt Granis's place) if needed for donor metal.

Thanks for the pics.
*TRP*
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 08:12:35 pm »
ReplyReply

sweet can i get pictures... icon_biggrin

if not where is it and can I go see it

thanx homie
*TRP*
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 08:04:37 pm »
ReplyReply

*TRP*
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 08:07:03 pm »
ReplyReply

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 08:58:10 pm »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the update!

thumbs up

Water bottle = fire?

I'll be heading out to BOR Sunday morning. I'll call you when I get there with the new floors.

Can you also keep me in the loop on your hours / money spent so I can keep you going when the time comes?
If you call and say, "we're out of money" you'll be waiting awhile for me to get more for you. If I know my balance I can plan ahead.

*TRP*
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:39:14 pm »
ReplyReply

You got it.  I will give you the breakdown asap. I will have the dollies with me as well as a few things for us to decide as far as direction. Like do we try and save the OG panz or melt them off for a batter blast and prime and then gerson panz. : )
*TRP*
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 09:41:14 pm »
ReplyReply

And yes.  Water bottle was for fire. The rats love to live in padding. There are three body/skeletons that I have seen so far.
*TRP*
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 09:48:50 pm »
ReplyReply

Also. May I suggest we do the entire front floor instead of just the ends. It will have a much better result and look! I had a dedicated circuit installed in my garage and will continue with the Demo in preparation for blast and prime! We will more the likely put it into a sealer primer so we will not have to blast again as if we went with just a etching primer to prevent rust during the metal restoration process.  : )
*TRP*
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 09:26:12 pm »
ReplyReply

got the front doors off today with no issues.. the cargo dorrs are tryn to give nme a hard time.. lol.. they are soakn now.. i will get them!  thumbs up
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 09:58:50 pm »
ReplyReply

I'm sure you know the old, weld a bolt to the screw trick, but I thought I'd mention it.

The heat from the weld is always good for the cause, and the bolt, well that's WAY easier to get a grip on than a stripped screw.

Cargo floors are in the truck already. see you this weekend.
*TRP*
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 10:06:26 pm »
ReplyReply

love tha trick... wudnt leav home with out!... you know how we roll!

see you soon homie!
*TRP*
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 01:31:15 pm »
ReplyReply

*TRP*
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 01:33:35 pm »
ReplyReply

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 12:31:01 am »
ReplyReply

Nice work man, thanks for the update.
New nose, I'm thinking make it smooth and add semaphores.

What do you think?

What's the chance you can sell the metal you cut out to a metal recycler and I can get some money back on th deal?

No chance?

That's what I figured.
*TRP*
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 07:06:46 am »
ReplyReply

I like that idea. Here is what I have done since my last update. : )  outer valance, nose skin, front floor left and right wings, jack points, out riggers, inner/outer rockers, left and right belly pans, forward top hat, battery tray, driver side rear lower corner, driver side wheel well, and both dog legs! just about ready for blast now. Class A is guna have there hands full with this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: