LowBus.com
June 22, 2017, 10:35:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to site- chad  (Read 9643 times)
DC chad
LowBus n00b

« on: January 28, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, I have been around for awhile, lurking on all the sites, and never cared to join the forums, but I recently bought a '63 Double Cab from Greg. He seems like a stand up guy, and the site seems to be a bit friendlier and low profile than other-which I like. This is my first Double. Been wanting one for a while and timing was perfect when this one showed up. I have owned about 8 bugs and 1 bus. The bus was a '67 that I got on a trade and got it on the road and sold it, so never really owned a bus. Excited to get this one going. At the moment, I have it on jack stands and am dropping it. I got the bus from Greg, then worked a deal for all the lowering parts. If I had just a few more $$, I would have had him do it, but I am trying to figure all this out and do it on a bus for the first time. This weekend I plan on pulling the tranny and getting the cores out to get back to Greg. Here's a pic of the DC. I am sure I'll have plenty of questions. I am in AZ and hope to have it on the road soon. -chad
hopefully the pics show up, still figuring this out.
lowsplitJim
LowBus Local

Der Driven Wagen

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:44:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Welcome to the lowbus forums!!!

OVP wherever I am in life.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Good deal Chad.
 thumbs up

Your beam is done and ready for delivery over Copperstate weekend.
DC chad
LowBus n00b

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Spent some time today removing the tranny. It was my first time, and I have to say, it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. The part that took the longest was realizing I was missing a tool, and having to go and buy the tool in the middle of the whole thing. Here's how it sits right now.

Also, maybe someone could give me some info/advice. I have everything cleared out of the way up front for the beam to come out except the shift rod. When I was taking the bolt out, it snapped from being old and rusted, so I drilled it out, but the shift rod will not come apart. Any ideas on how to separate it? I think it's just old and rusted so it wont separate easy. Thanks.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 02:55:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Heat that bitch up until it is RED HOT then give it a little twist.
It will come.......trust me.

Worst case scenario, I have new couplers / tapered bolts.

Cut yours off and replace with a new one.

orangeDC
LowBus Contributor

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:15:46 AM »
ReplyReply

welcome chad! lookin good, im jealous!  ohno feindin to be low!!! ohno  Greg, i'm gonna be ready sometime in the next few months!!!!!!
Ragtop
LowBus n00b

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Welcome and I know your gonna love that Double Cab puffin
DC chad
LowBus n00b

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the welcome (all 4 of you  biggrin, LOL)
I finished getting the spring plates off. What I do is usually read up on it and go do the work. I attempted to put the notched spring plates back on, but ran out of time. Is there a trick to installing them? I tried finding some answers, but didn't find anything. The part I was having trouble with was getting them up over the bottom stop and then in all the way. I was using a floorjack to lift it above the bottom stop, but couldn't pound it in. Better way?

Anyway, I am out of town for the next 2 days, so when I get back it's blow torch to the shift rod coupler, and figure out these spring plates. Thanks for the help in advance.
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 11:14:10 PM »
ReplyReply

You don't want the spring plates down so far they need to get over the stop.
Depending on how low you want to go just slipping over the stop with a 1/2 or so between is a good starting point.

I use a protractor

and go 4 -5 degrees "up" from your starting angle for dropped spindles alone and anywhere from 5 degrees and up for a beam and spindles.
cage66
LowBus Regular

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »
ReplyReply

You can get a good cheap protractor (angle finder) at harbor freight, also good to have for a box raise. thumbs up

KombiMonster
LowBus Regular

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »
ReplyReply

cool truck Chad.....you going to run stock wheels?.....Be sure to get it low enough for hoops to fit in that garage!
DC chad
LowBus n00b

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the help and kind words. I am still thinking about what wheels to run. Greg built me a 4" beam and spindles ( that I'll receive soon!) so he told me I'd have clearance issues with stock, unless I went 2" beam, but I like a narrow beam. I like how the Randar wheels look on doubles, so I am considering those, but I am looking and haven't purchased any yet. Hoops are definitely in the wanted column. 
nomad
LowBus User

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 02:46:14 AM »
ReplyReply

nice looking dc these are all the rage in australia at the moment
keep up with the pictures thumbs up
DC chad
LowBus n00b

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Just a quick update, Got the beam this weekend, got the beam in, new tranny. Messing with the brakes and spring plates. Hopefully down on the ground soon, with updated pictures to come.
DC chad
LowBus n00b

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »
ReplyReply

Finally got some time with the bus! Was able to get everything together and get it off the jack stands. Still no engine in it, but now it can come home into my garage and I'll have time to mess with it more often. I am really happy with the way it turned out. The front end is sick, and I can now see the roof of my cab  icon_biggrin The rear is gonna need some adjusting but it will sit level when it's all done. Here's a few phone pics of it in my buddy's garage.

mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 12:48:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Glad you got it sorted.
It looks much better with he ne, lower stance.
I take it you found the shifter bushings, etc. OK?
mr. warehouse
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Digging up an old thread here, but for sale....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1671431

lowbus64
LowBus Regular

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »
ReplyReply

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4594598882.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: